Resources for Communities and Workplaces: Talking Constructively about the Middle East War
The painful images of horrific violence in Israel and Gaza in recent weeks have led to a sense of growing divides all around the world. Many who feel connected to either Israel or to Palestinians are traumatized and experiencing the war through media silos. Few are seeing balanced perspectives or constructive responses to the issue.
Outside the headlines, however, Israeli and Palestinian peacebuilders continue their work to defeat harmful stereotypes and zero-sum thinking. Many of them have pivoted to supporting communities on the ground to meet emergency needs, including food, medicine, shelter, and trauma support. Some are joining together to promote messages that push back against extremism and hate and aim to reduce tensions and avoid further escalation.
Their stories, of people on both sides working together and helping each other, show an unseen side of the conflict and the response to the war. People around the world who hear about this work often comment that it provides a glimmer of hope and an example of how people can join together in support of Israelis and Palestinians rather than take sides and import the conflict to communities worldwide.
Below is a resource kit containing articles and videos that highlight just a few of these stories. Communities and workplaces looking to foster a constructive dialogue and showcase balanced viewpoints from the ground may wish to circulate them with their stakeholders and teams.
- CNN: United by Grief – Israelis and Palestinians Working Together
- BBC: ALLMEP Executive Director John Lyndon on Fighting Dehumanization
- GBNews: School Principal Efrat Meyer on Arab-Jewish Schools During War
- NBC: An Exclusive Inside Look at Israel’s “Oasis of Peace”
- Scripps News: ALLMEP President Avi Meyerstein on Israel-Gaza War
Articles and Op-Eds:
- Report: How are Israeli-Palestinian peacebuilders responding to the crisis?
- USA Today: As war grows, those who want peace for Israelis and Palestinians face harrowing test
- The Guardian: We are Westminster MPs of Palestinian and Israeli descent – this is our call for peace (Opinion)
- Plus61JMedia: Not All Palestinians (Opinion)
- Times of Israel: What Have We Lost (Opinion)