OneVoice’s partner movement in Palestine celebrates the completion of its first year
Founded in early 2016, Zimam has proven to be a dynamic voice of peaceful change in Palestine. In an age in which discord and tension appears to be reaching new heights and intolerance is tragically becoming an accepted norm, Zimam has worked to spread a message of moderation, cooperation, and friendship. The success the organization enjoyed throughout 2016 is continuing in the early weeks of 2017 as well. Alaa Salous, an activist from Nablus, represented Zimam at the Youth 4 Peace summit organized by the United Nations. Zimam’s #I_Am_Palestinian social media movement, accentuating the group’s commitment to countering radicalization, was celebrated and gained exposure throughout the Middle East.
Alaa Salous and Saif Aquel also met with British Parliamentary members form both the Labour and Conservative parties to discuss Zimam’s emphasis on non-violence, including the group’s conference on countering extremism among Palestinian youth, slated for late January. Additionally, Zimam’s CEO Samer Makhlouf was made a Fellow of the Royal Society of Arts, the first Palestinian to earn such a prestigious honor.
Zimam is rightfully proud of their achievements in 2016 and excited about what the New Year will bring. More information about their upcoming events can be found at www.onevoicemovement.org/ or https://www.facebook.com/ZimamPS
By Richard Quinlan, Content Contributor
Share this page
- Northern Ireland as a model for shared society in Israel
- ALLMEP Seeks European Director to Head ALLMEP Europe
- Taglit-Birthright ends encounters with Israeli Arab citizens
- Sikkuy’s latest achievements and upcoming US speaking tour
- Arava Institute alums lead Israel-Palestine talk at Michigan State University
- Women Wage Peace march draws 30,000 Israelis and Palestinians to Jerusalem
- Israeli, Palestinian environmentalists aren’t waiting for a peace plan
- For second year, Israeli and Palestinian women rally around hope