Tom Watson MP, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party gave a speech at the Labour Friends of Israel 2016 Annual Lunch
endorsing the International Fund for Israeli Palestinian Peace. On the current situation in Israel and Palestine, MP Watson said:
“And 25 years after my first visit, amid the violence which too often scars this beautiful land, and the lack of any progress on the peace process, it can sometimes feel that the region is at the nadir of hope.
But I saw hope on my visit. I saw it when I met young Palestinian and Israeli graduates of one of the many people-to-people projects that are helping to foster trust, cooperation and relationships across seemingly unbridgeable divides.
In the speech he gave accepting his so richly deserved Nobel Peace Prize, the late Yitzhak Rabin spoke of building peace “layer by layer, brick by brick, beam by beam”.
Surely Britain’s role, with our historic links in the region, must be to work to foster understanding, bring people together, to help lay the bricks and beams of a future peace.
That’s why I am so pleased today to endorse the campaign LFI launched a few weeks ago – ‘For Israel, For Palestine, For Peace’ – in support of the establishment of an International Fund for Israeli-Palestinian Peace.”
Read the full speech
Share this page
- ALLMEP is hiring an Administrative and Communications Associate
- Save the Date: ALLMEP’s 2020 Regional Conference is on April 2
- Congress restores funding for Palestinian and cross-border organizations
- Congressional leaders urge Administration to resume funding for P2P, development programs
- From Northern Ireland, lessons on disrupting the polarization of Israeli and Palestinian youth
- Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg donates prize money to Hand in Hand
- After cutting peacebuilding programs, US Administration uses them promote its peace plan
- ALLMEP launches Alumni Leadership Forum