Tom Watson MP, Deputy Leader of the Labour Party gave a speech at the Labour Friends of Israel 2016 Annual Lunch
endorsing the International Fund for Israeli Palestinian Peace. On the current situation in Israel and Palestine, MP Watson said:
“And 25 years after my first visit, amid the violence which too often scars this beautiful land, and the lack of any progress on the peace process, it can sometimes feel that the region is at the nadir of hope.
But I saw hope on my visit. I saw it when I met young Palestinian and Israeli graduates of one of the many people-to-people projects that are helping to foster trust, cooperation and relationships across seemingly unbridgeable divides.
In the speech he gave accepting his so richly deserved Nobel Peace Prize, the late Yitzhak Rabin spoke of building peace “layer by layer, brick by brick, beam by beam”.
Surely Britain’s role, with our historic links in the region, must be to work to foster understanding, bring people together, to help lay the bricks and beams of a future peace.
That’s why I am so pleased today to endorse the campaign LFI launched a few weeks ago – ‘For Israel, For Palestine, For Peace’ – in support of the establishment of an International Fund for Israeli-Palestinian Peace.”
Read the full speech
Share this page
- Congress introduces bipartisan Partnership Fund for Peace Act
- ALLMEP member Road to Recovery creates “a mini peace in an hour”
- 9,000 gather for a powerful 2019 Israeli-Palestinian Memorial Day
- ALLMEP members, diplomatic community gather for 2019 Regional Conference
- Through education, ALLMEP members pave the way to shared society in Israel
- Mladenov: ending of U.S. assistance to Palestinians could have disastrous impact
- Understanding the impact of the Anti-Terrorism Clarification Act
- ALLMEP seeks Regional Alumni Network Coordinator