An new initiative was launched on the Jerusalem Light Rail this week to promote Arabic language learning among Israelis.The campaign included passing out pamphlets with Arabic phrases on the tram, sponsoring free Arabic-language courses, and displaying posters featuring Arabic words along with their Hebrew explanations at different stations in the city.
The inspiration of the campaign centers on the fact that Arabic comprehension among Israeli Jews is low, as ALLMEP member Sikkuy found through a survey published in early July that only 8.6% of Israeli Jewish adults have a working understanding of Arabic.
As the tram, which begin operating in 2011, runs through the heart of the city and carries over 160,000 passengers a day, the campaign’s sponsors and the leadership of the Jerusalem Light Rail believed it to be a perfect center for promoting understanding between Israelis and Palestinians.
The rationale behind the campaign was to bridge the language barrier between the Palestinians and the Israeli populations in the city. Beyond this campaign itself, Jerusalem Light Rail prides itself on being the sole public transportation system in Israel that broadcasts notices in English, Hebrew, and Arabic.
Photo Credit: The Times of Israel
Share this page
- Congress introduces bipartisan Partnership Fund for Peace Act
- ALLMEP member Road to Recovery creates “a mini peace in an hour”
- 9,000 gather for a powerful 2019 Israeli-Palestinian Memorial Day
- ALLMEP members, diplomatic community gather for 2019 Regional Conference
- Through education, ALLMEP members pave the way to shared society in Israel
- Mladenov: ending of U.S. assistance to Palestinians could have disastrous impact
- Understanding the impact of the Anti-Terrorism Clarification Act
- ALLMEP seeks Regional Alumni Network Coordinator